Friday, January 15, 2010

Please Help Haiti!



A couple days ago I was sitting and playing on the computer. When Lisa said to me "Did you here that Haiti had a bad earthquake?" I responded "yes, it happened a couple days ago, many people have been affected by it" She stopped me in my tracks, "Wes! This just happened today!" I was confused! I thought about it for a second, then realized it must have been a bad dream. I saw it on a Yahoo blurb and felt sad when I saw it. I was wondering why nobody else was talking about.

I feel bad for dreaming about it a couple days before, like it was just another story or bad dream. Then to discover the sad reality of this nightmare, that it's very real. I feel many emotions by the earthquake, they change at any given moment. Like aftershocks form my heartache. The main emotion is helplessness. I want to jump into the television and dig them out, to help and hug those children.

We've both watched the news and felt that countries tragedy. Witnessing the cut and debris covered victims expressions. The pain in the faces of a frightened people, the sadness and anguish they feel. Some screaming for family, others digging barehanded in the rubble. My heart aches to see their struggle, it breaks when the media overplays video of the bodies.

I know it's the job of the media to report the situation, but I feel that there should be a line of decency. I have seen a lot of death in my life and had to deal with what follows those affected. I know real loss and still hold the images of lost loved ones, most likely until I die! So, don't think I can't handle the truths of life and death. I just feel the media can focus on the positives and reveal the togetherness within the madness.

I've witnessed and heard many reporters and supporters choke with sadness and also anger. To me this is human, we should feel like this. I will admit I've teared up, but not truly cried yet. Not like with Katrina and countless other disasters that have occurred in history. Not to say that I won't, because I will!

Right now I'm staying strong for the world, spreading the word. Encouraging others to do what they can. I have a FACEBOOK friend his name is Daniel, he is an Army medic. (Just like my Dad was!)

Daniel said, "Alive and Well in Haiti. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.Will go forth and do great things and save as many as I can get my hands on." Indeed he will! I told him to please be safe and do what you can for all of us that care.

My wife and I feel the same when it comes to tragedy and human suffering. We love life and hope for world peace. I asked my wife how she felt about the situation she replied "I wish that all countries were able to help themselves, so when disaster happens it could be helped and not a have to.I wish all countries had the opportunity to to be prepared and could swiftly respond to the people! But, that's just never going to happen!"

I responded, "Just like world peace!"

I have had other friends point out the history of Haiti and how it was hurting before this quake. Indeed, just like the rest of the world. It is a shame that it takes a disaster to bring people closer. Sadly we have too many people ignoring world issues, treating them as invisible. The world can't ignore Haiti's quake, nor can we turn our cheek.

I have chosen to ignore certain comments by Religious leaders about Haitian sins, to ignore certain Radio and television hosts heartless opinions.

I wish to add that when the earthquake happened many people were injured, killed, and are missing. United nations workers, American civilians, and people from all over the world. May those affected find the peace,love, and support that they require.

Many of my friends have helped raise awareness and donations through word of mouth. By way of text, computer games, and others methods that I will soon mention.

I've heard that relief has been greater than most of our past disasters. They say it is due to modern technology, that it's easier to help others now. This statement rings true, my wife and I have already donated a couple ways. Even by way of text, but it can take weeks to process. So, please take the time to support our brothers and sisters of the world in any way you can.

Life's what it is sometimes! No matter what disaster or cause that calls for human action, together we can create a beautiful tomorrow. In life, in any country there will be sorrow. There will be issues that need helped! All we can do as human beings is to be human and help others when we can. Stay strong and allow our emotions to be powerful and positive. To love one another the best we can and follow the life in our beating hearts.

Here is just a few ways we can help.

Doctors Without Borders
Friends of the World Food Program
International Rescue Committee
Facebook Charity Gift Shop;including:
Water for Haiti from Oxfam
Light a Candle for Haiti from UNICEF
Food for Haiti from CARE
Shelter for Haiti from The American Red Cross
Survival Kit from World Vision
You can buy virtual gifts through Zynga games
You can text "HAITI" to 90999 to donate $10 to American Red Cross relief for Haiti

Feel free to find your own method, but pass it on! :)


Thank you for taking the time to read this! Please remember my words, but more importantly the people of Haiti! Please join me in helping the world to "live as one."

Peace & Love
Loren, Lisa, and Malayna Ackerman

3 comments:

Ken Riches said...

It is tragic.

We took this opportunity to become monthly donors to the Red Cross.

Lisa said...

I am very familiar with everyday life in Haiti. My husbands boss has built a huge orphanage/hospital/school called the Williamson Project with the Mercy Caring & Sharing Organization. I've seen & heard the stories of the horror most people live under in normal circumstances so I can't imagine what it is like now. The Haitians, it seems, cannot buy a break. This earthquake is definately something they didn't need. My heart goes out to them. I cannot fathom what it is like. I know when Doug's boss returns he'll have pictures & video though. I am hoping with the world watching the aid will actually reach the people who need it and not be coveted by the govt or military.

DB said...

Wes, this is a beautiful and moving appeal. My feeling is that it should occur to world leaders and politicians how petty is their wrangling over issues that are not as importnt as saving a nation from disaster and destruction. There is no such thing, any more, if there ever was, of a local emergency. The srong arms of the world should learn a lesson from this. But of course they won't. As soon as the last body is buried they will go right back to trying to destroy each other. What a pitiful situation, made worse by the ignorant remarks of religious buffoons.

I regulary donate to two of those organizations you mention. It is up to every person to do his part. But we have to do more than our part because so many other people don't. And that's the way it is.

DB